High Street, Sherston: £895,000
A substantial Grade II listed historic16th Century village house situated in the in the heart of this thriving village. Approx 3600 sq.ft – Drawing Room, Dining Room, 25′ Aga Kitchen/Family room, 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Private gardens to rear. No onward chain.
DESCRIPTION This prominent Grade II listed house which is steeped in local history, is located on the prestigious High Street in this thriving village. The accommodation is substantial, extending in all to around 3616 sq.ft and is arranged over 4 floors with cellarage below. On the ground floor notable rooms include an impressive dining room with fireplace featuring a wood burning stove and a spacious 25′ kitchen/family room featuring an Aga with access to the gardens and cellar. The large high ceilinged drawing room is located on the first floor which has a walk in porch bay with windows allowing views up and down the high street whilst the fireplace surround features chair backs reputedly from Malmesbury Abbey. In all there are five bedrooms, including four large double rooms, served by two recently refitted bathrooms with the second floor ‘Balcony’ bedroom having doors leading out to the small balcony where unique views over Sherston’s rooftops can be enjoyed. Outside, the good sized and very private garden designed by Rosemary Verey lies entirely to the rear featuring a large terrace with steps and path leading to a secret garden at the far end. Ample parking is available in the High Street outside to the front.
HISTORY Balcony House is first mentioned in the 1300’s and later as surviving the "Great Fire of Sherston " in 1500. The house typifies a Merchant’s House from the Middle Ages, having the business rooms to the frontage and the family living areas to the rear. It’s Catholic connections during the reformation and thence to Malmesbury Abbey can be seen in the wooden coffer above the entrance doorway, the three ecclesiastical chairbacks framed and mounted over the first floor open fireplace and signs of a blocked-off section within the cellar creating a hidden "Priests Hole", accessed via a secret staircase behind the ground floor fireplace, now blocked off. The William and Mary frontage was added in around 1680 in Cotswold stone, prior to this the front was probably dark Oak beam and lathe, part of which survives in the small bedroom on the second floor. The Balcony, from which the house received it’s name of "Ye Olde Balcony House" on the second floor, was a latter addition to the projecting two-storey porch, from which views of visitors to and fro could be made without venturing outside in one’s finery! Local legend goes that the balcony was built around 1705 for Queen Anne’s stay at the house on her way from Oxford to Bath. Subsequently, the house has been used for a variety of trades and pastimes including Hunting Lodge, village sweet shop and wine shop. A pleasant tradition for any owner is that extensive notes on the history of Sherston from the Middle Ages and the House are handed down from owner to owner.
SITUATION The beautiful and much sought after village of Sherston with its broad High Street and historic stone houses, is conveniently located on the edge of the Cotswolds and has a thriving community and was recently voted as 5th Best Village in which to live by The Times. The village offers many facilities including churches, primary school, doctors’ surgery, post office/general stores, hairdresser, two wine merchants and two excellent public houses together with a host of societies and clubs offering entertainment and social events for young and old alike. Close by are the market towns of Malmesbury and Tetbury and both towns offer a wide range of shops including Waitrose and Tesco supermarkets and leisure facilities. The area is served by excellent state and public schools. Both Junctions 17 & 18 of the M4 are within 15 minutes drive providing easy commuter access to Bath, Bristol and Swindon whilst rail services to London-Paddington are available from Chippenham and Kemble via Swindon, with the impending electrification of the line reducing commuter times by 15 minutes to under 50 minutes from Swindon.